Examples of Speaking Experience
Jeff is an experienced educator, having taught computer and information systems courses at four universities and taught continuing education courses. He has given natural science talks to audiences ranging from elementary school students to environmental researchers.
Jeff's numerous talks, workshops, and field trips on nature topics of local interest are described in the Workshop section.
A critical part of systems consulting involves training users on a new system. Jeff's training experience in the context of new systems implementation includes:
- Microsoft Access
- Geographic Information Systems
- Accounting software
- Various custom-built applications
- Written operating procedures for both end users and computer center personnel
In addition to informal mentoring new volunteers helping with field research, Jeff has given more formal presentations to prepare volunteers for wild rice research, GPS mapping of common reed (Phragmites sp.), and purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) removal.
Selected Environmental Research Presentations
A full list of Jeff's publications is available as a Bibliography.
- "Collaborative Geographic Information Systems Analysis," 2009 International Symposium on, Collaborative Technologies and Systems, invited speaker May 20, 2009.
- "Database Development: Best Practices Case Study," Maryland Water Monitoring Council Annual Conference, December 4, 2008.
- "Stalking Wild Data: Ecological Information at Jug Bay," Jug Bay Wetlands Research Symposium, Annapolis, MD, March 29, 2008. The symposium is described in Volunteer Monitor, Vol. 19, No. 1, p 6–7. on archive.org
- "A Data Warehouse for Jug Bay," Summer research presentations, Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, August 2007.
- Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve System - Maryland Site Managers Meeting, "Environmental Data Management" (2008).
- Southern California Earthquake Center, University of Southern California, seminar on improving computer system usability. Evaluated user interface for fault modeling software (2006).